Summer Beauty Blunders To Avoid
Summer months are associated with a number of skin and hair related issues. While you cannot completely avoid the sun, a few changes in your daily beauty routine can help in nailing all these problems.
Agreed! It is not always possible to remember wearing this lotion but we all know the importance of diligently applying generous amounts of broad-spectrum, SPF 30 sunscreen, don’t we? The ultraviolet rays of the sun cause hyperpigmentation, inflammation, fine lines, premature aging and can also lead to skin cancer.
- Do not skip sunscreen whether you plan to stay indoor or outdoor. We all know that sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes prior to sun exposure.However,reapplication after every 2 hours is also important. Sun rays are most intense from 10 am to 4 pm and if possible, sun exposure should be avoided during this time.
- If you ditch the sunscreen on cloudy days,remember that clouds do not offer any protection against the sun’s rays. It is important to wear a sunscreen whether it is sunny or raining.
- A common mistake most women make is not taking care of the body. Your neck starts showing signs of aging if proper care is not taken. Apply sunscreen on the neck and other exposed parts of the body like hands, feet,ears. Always wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV rays.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and ensure maximum coverage of the skin to avoid tanning.
- Wearing a lip balm with SPF helps in keeping lips supple and prevent darkening.
Not using a moisturizer
Many women do not prefer to use a moisturizer in summers. However, moisturizers are important in protecting the skin from blistering heat, preventing premature aging and sebum formation (Sebum production indicates that your skin is dehydrated and needs moisturizing).
- Air conditioners negatively affect the skin making it lose its natural moisture. Hence, it becomes extremely important to invest in a good moisturizer suitable for your skin type.
- Heavy winter creams should be replaced with lighter products and women with oily skin should go for oil-free and gel-based moisturizers.
- Do not forget to moisturize your body with a good body lotion that offers sun protection.
Body consumes more water in summers and not drinking enough water can lead to dull and dehydrated skin in summers.
- Keep your skin soft and young by having at least 2-3 Liters of water and including fresh foods and vegetables in your diet.
- Include refreshing drinks like nimbu pani, lassi, fresh fruit juice and coconut water instead of sugar loaded colas( that cause acne and premature aging)
- Since foundations have heavier formulas and can cause clogging of pores in the summer heat, it is better to use a tinted moisturizer to avoid breakouts and acne. You can use one with sun protection formula to keep your routine easy.
- Keep your makeup as natural as possible and use waterproof products. Replace your powdered makeup with cream based products for a more pleasant look.
- Use of bold colored lipsticks during the day is another mistake to avoid. Wear lighter and summer friendly shades when using lipsticks.
- Keep your hair tied in a neat bun or ponytail and step out in the sun wearing a hat or a scarf as excessive heat in the summer months can damage your hair.
- Overcleansing can make your hair dull and dry. Use a mild shampoo and limit its use to twice a week.
- Hair styling tools make your hair limp and frizzy in summer and it is recommended to opt for air dried hair. Use a heat protectant serum in case you need to style your hair.
- Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week to keep your hair smooth. Coconut oil is an effective natural and chemical free treatment for hair.
You can read more tips on summer hair care HERE
Coconut Oil Treatment-Massage your hair and scalp for 30 minutes with warm coconut oil and wrap a moist towel for 1-2 hours. Wash with a shampoo and apply a leave in conditioner. You can also keep the oil overnight and wash your hair in morning.